Craniofacial Surgery deals with treatment of complex skull and facial deformities that may be present at birth or due to abnormal development or trauma. The problems can be severely disfiguring that interfere with the quality of life, and sometimes, life threatening. Examples include, Micrognathia in Pierre Robin Sequence, Craniosynostosis causing raised intracranial pressure, various syndromes such as Crouzon’s Syndrome, Apert’s Syndrome and Tessiers facial clefts. Some craniofacial deformities may interfere with eating, speech and language and cause hearing loss and dental problems. Also, an abnormal facial appearance can result in social and psychological problems if not corrected.
At Renai we have a dedicated team comprising of Craniofacial Surgeon, Neurosurgeon and Pediatric Surgeon along with an attending panel of pediatricians, psychologists, speech pathologists and pedodontists to plan and give complete and holistic care from the earliest possible age.
Maxillofacial Surgery as a specialty has come a long way in its scope and versatility to diagnose and treat a wide range of facial defects and disorders. It covers a wide spectrum of surgical care ranging from minor oral surgery, facial trauma, skeletal deformities including jaw prognathism, temporomandibular joint disorders, obstructive sleep apnea (snoring), post traumatic deformity corrections, rhinoplasty, benign cysts and tumors of the jaws cleft lip and palate, secondary cleft lip/palate corrections and various soft tissue procedures.
We provide a complete and comprehensive understanding and treatment of various facial/jaw deformities as well as addressing dental issues which plays a pivotal role in the care of such patients.
Highlights of the department include:
- A 24 hour functioning trauma care with consultant maxillofacial surgeon,neurosurgeon, state-of-the-art 128 slice CT scan, ICU and operating theater facility to care for accident and trauma victims.
- Comprehensive TMJ clinic with TMJ arthroscopy (key hole surgery for jaw joint) to address TMJoint disorders.
- Team effort with consultant orthodontist and allied dental specialties to address jaw prognathism and retrognathism (long and short face).
- Obstructive sleep apnea (snoring) care with most advanced sleep lab and ENT surgeon’s assessment
- A well equipped clinic to care for all minor oral surgical needs such as dental implants, oral infections, and cysts and tumors of the oral cavity.
- Congenital craniofacial malformations: such as cleft lip and palate and cranial vault malformations such as carniosynostosis (Craniofacial Surgery)
- Dysgnathia (incorrect bite) and orthognathic (literally “straight bite”): Reconstructive surgery, orthognathic Surgery (Jaw surgery for gummy smile, small / long chin), maxillomandibular advancement, surgical correction of facial asymmetry.
- Craniofacial syndromes: Apert, Crouzon’s, Treacher Collins, Hemifacial microsomia, etc
- Soft and hard tissue trauma of the oral and maxillofacial region (jaw fractures, cheek bone fractures, nasal fractures, skull fractures and eye socket fractures)
- Benign pathology (cysts, tumors etc)
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Chronic facial pain disorders
- Cosmetic Surgery of the head and neck: (rhinoplasty, cheek augmentation, chin augmentation, genioplasty, lip enhancement, botox etc)
- Surgical treatment of sleep apnoea: maxillomandibular advancement,genioplasty
- Dentoalveolar surgery (surgery to remove impacted teeth, bone grafting or pre-prosthetic surgery to provide better anatomy for the placement of dental implants), Surgery to insert osseo-integrated (bone fused) dental implants and Maxillofacial implants for attaching craniofacial prostheses and bone anchored hearing aids.
Unique services offered
- Paediatric and adult craniofacial surgery
- Craniofacial Distraction Osteogenesis
- Minimally Invasive (Endoscope assisted) surgery
- Obstructive sleep disorder surgery
- TMJ Arthroscopy