Paediatric Surgery caters to the surgical needs from while the baby is still in the warmth of its mother’s womb, through its neonatal and infancy period, till it is grown up enough to walk off into adolescence. The Paediatric surgeon looks into all aspects of the child’s surgical complaints including thoracic, gastro-intestinal, hepato-biliary, urological malignancies, paediatric trauma, burns and congenital malformations of the neonate. The surgeon while operating with extreme precision and finesse on a newborn baby tries to restore it to as normal as possible. The care also involves counselling of expectant mothers of foetus with surgical problems, allaying their fears regarding their babies, discussing with them the various treatment options including the prognosis of the baby.
The Neonatal and Paediatric Surgery Department at Renai Medicity provides the best care possible in a family-centred, ‘kid-friendly’ environment. The Department boasts of a modern and state-of-the-art Operation Theatre complex with facilities for complex open and laparoscopic surgeries. It is ably supported by well equipped neonatal and surgical intensive care units (NICU & SICU) manned by experienced team of Neonatologists and Intensivists.
The department is also part of the team providing essential emergency services to paediatric trauma and burn patients brought to our 24-hour Accident and Emergency Department.
Parents and guardians are often anxious about the treatment of their child, and here at Renai, we take it as our responsibility to relieve their fears by thoroughly explaining the child’s problem, reviewing the results of imaging studies with the parent and discussing with them the various surgical options.
The specialty surgical services offered include:
- Paediatric Emergency Services including road accidents, burns, scalds, foreign body ingestion or aspiration, bleeding per rectum etc.
- Neonatal Surgery – Surgery for Choanal atresia, congenital diaphragmatic hernia, Tracheo oesophageal fistula, Duodenal atresia, Jejunal and ileal atresia, Malrotation, Hirschsprung’s disease & Ano-rectal malformation.
- Thoracic Surgery/Thoracoscopy – for Empyema, Decortication, Congenital lobar emphysema, Bronchopulmonary sequestrations, Wedge biopsy, Lobectomy, pneumonectomy.
- Gastrointestinal & Hepato-biliary – gastro esophageal reflux disease, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, intussusception, intestinal duplications, Meckel’s diverticulum, Hemi & total colectomy, Biliary atresia and Choledochal cyst.
- Paediatric Laparoscopy for Appendicitis, Gallbladder stone, Adhesiolysis, Ovarian torsion, Inguinal hernia repair, Undescended testis, Hirschsprung’s disease & Ano-rectal malformation.
- Urology/Endourology – Phimosis, Hypospadias, Undescended testis, Inguinal hernia, Hydrocele, Posterior urethral valves, Vesico ureteric reflux, Pelviureteric junction obstruction, Renal duplications and cystic disease, intersex disorders.
- Paediatric Oncology – Wilm’s tumour, Neuroblastoma, Sacrococcygeal teratoma, Testicular and ovarian tumours, Soft tissue sarcomas.
- Paediatric Orthopaedics – Congenital talipes equino varus (clubfoot), Arterio-venous and lymphatic malformation, Antenatal counselling for mothers with ultrasound-diagnosed surgical malformation in the foetus.