Paediatric Intensive Care specialises in the high quality treatment and care of critically ill infants & children. The Paediatric Intensive Care Unit at Renai is a multidisciplinary advanced intensive care unit led by highly qualified paediatric intensivists who are trained from nation’s best institutes. With the wealth of vast experience gained from working in some of India’s best paediatric intensive care units, our dynamic team is capable to manage all sorts of complex paediatric intensive care requirements.
PICU at Renai hospital is a referral centre for children with multidisciplinary problems with varying grades of severity. The advanced medical equipments are best of its class. We are equipped with:
- State-of-the-art ventilators- both invasive & non invasive.
- High frequency oscillatory ventilators.
- High flow nasal cannula, multichannel monitors, invasive haemodynamic monitoring systems.
- Continuous renal replacement therapy, intermittent haemodialysis.
- Bedside ultrasound & Echo cardiography facilities.
- Round the clock radiology, blood bank & laboratory services.
- Other facilities and services to cater to the complex needs of the children admitted to the unit.
Our team of proficient Paediatric intensivists are well experienced in the paediatric intensive care who provides services round the clock. We have experts to provide excellent services for Severe Sepsis, Severe ARDS, Trauma care and Traumatic brain injury, Oncological emergencies and MODS.
The team has also great support from highly dedicated nursing team who are not only qualified but also recognise and handle problems exclusive to tender age group they care for. 24×7 helpline is created to help paediatricians round the Kochi city and outside to clarify their doubts in paediatric critical care services and make referral easier.
The PICU team is ably supported by a team of paediatric subspecialty specialists (Paediatric Neurology, Paediatric Surgery, Paediatric ENT, Paediatric Pulmonology, Paediatric Nephrology, Ophthalmology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Endocrinology). Our team is also supported by social work department, Clinical Nutrition, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Audiology & Speech Therapy
Treatment & Procedures in PICU
- Breathing support: PICU provides various breathing supports for the children having breathing difficulty. Procedure includes mechanical ventilation (Conventional & HFOV), Non invasive ventilation (state of art advanced pediatric oriented NIV devices) & high flow nasal cannula.
- Central Venous access & PICC line services: Critically ill children with difficult access are managed with central venous catheters & PICC lines under USG guidance & aseptic precautions. CLABSI bundle care & infection precautionary measures are well managed by infectious disease control team in Renai.
- Procedural sedation: The sedation procedures at PICU are done by expert pediatric Intensivist with utmost care and precautionary measures.
- Invasive & non invasive BP monitoring : Both invasive and non invasive BP monitoring procedures are available at Renai PICU that provides accurate values in critically ill children
- Haemodialysis & peritoneal dialysis: Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis procedures are performed in children with acute or chronic renal failure.