Rheumatic diseases are chronic conditions usually causing pain and swelling of the connective tissues, joints or muscles. It affects all age groups ranging from paediatric to geriatric. There are more than hundred types of rheumatic diseases. All rheumatic diseases are associated with considerable pain and morbidity and may cripple human life. They have the potential to attack all the systems in the body and may cause death if not properly diagnosed and treated. Rheumatology is the super specialty department dedicated to the diagnosis and management of these complex diseases. The department ensures comprehensive, compassionate and state-of-the-art care for all kinds of arthritis and autoimmune diseases.
Rheumatic diseases have the potential to affect almost all organs of the body. They may progress rapidly leading to considerable morbidity. An in-depth knowledge about the disease mechanism and its spectrum of clinical features is crucial for early diagnosis and management of these complex diseases. In contrast to the past, where the patient had to live with the pain and the deformities, a near normal and completely productive life is now guaranteed if the disease is detected sufficiently early. Comprehensive management is now available for almost all diseases.
The department provides regular management for various rheumatic diseases and the latest highly advanced biologic therapy if indicated. It also provides non surgical supportive management in degenerative diseases where surgery is not contemplated. Rheumatic patient care is a multidisciplinary effort. At Renai, other successfully functioning specialties such as General Medicine, Nephrology, Cardiology, Orthopaedics, Neurology, Pulmonology, Ophthalmology, Paediatrics, Ayurveda and various surgical specialties provide excellent support. Full-fledged physiotherapy and occupational therapy departments and dedicated individualised patient care make the care for arthritis patients complete.
- Comprehensive arthritis care for paediatric, adult and geriatric patients
- Screening for autoimmune diseases
- Early arthritis clinics
- Preventive Rheumatology
- Advanced laboratory support
- Inpatient and Outpatient services with Intensive care support
- Pre and Post operative care
- Intra articular injections
- Dietary and Physiotherapy guidance
- Biologic and advanced targeted therapy
Diseases covered under the Rheumatology specialty includes:
- Arthritis – Rheumatoid arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, Psoriatic arthritis and other Spondyloarthritis diseases, Infective arthritis etc.
- Connective tissue diseases – Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE/Lupus), Scleroderma (Systemic sclerosis), Sjogrens Syndrome etc.
- Vasculitic diseases
- Fibromyalgias and regional pain syndromes
- Metabolic bone diseases – Gout, Osteoporosis, Diabetes related joint diseases etc.
- Paediatric joint diseases such as Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), Autoinflammatrory syndromes
- Supportive management for Degenerative joint diseases such as Osteoarthritis, Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) etc.
- Various other immunological and joint related diseases such as Sarcoidosis, Behcets etc.